OLED MacBook Pro Rumors: Do I Regret Buying an M5 Max Instead of Waiting?

카페 테이블에서 Docker Desktop을 실행한 맥북 프로와 음료

Not long after I bought my M5 Max MacBook Pro, rumors about another MacBook started appearing. An OLED display, touch support and a lighter body are all being discussed. If I were still shopping for a laptop, I can see why I would wonder whether to wait.

I bought mine without waiting. My previous MacBook was becoming less comfortable to work on, and I found a nearly new used model with the configuration I wanted, within my budget. I am curious about the next MacBook, but the changes being reported so far do not make me regret that decision.

A MacBook Pro running Docker Desktop beside a drink on a cafe table
My current 14-inch MacBook Pro. A configuration that helps me keep working matters more to me than a new design.

The OLED MacBook Pro and the entry-level M6 model are different rumors

Recent reports suggest Apple could introduce new MacBooks around October 27. As of October 12, 2026, when I wrote the Korean version of this post, this was a Bloomberg-sourced report—not an officially confirmed MacBook announcement date. Read the report.

There is one distinction worth making first. The higher-end MacBook Pro rumored to gain OLED and touch support is being discussed separately from the entry-level 14-inch MacBook Pro expected to move to an M6 chip.

What to compareHigher-end OLED rumorEntry-level 14-inch rumor
Main changeOLED, touch, design and weightM6 chip
Expected chipM5 Pro or M5 MaxM6
DesignRedesign expectedExisting design expected
Check after announcementWeight, battery, price and touchMemory options, performance and price

These are not confirmed specifications. The table separates two possible updates described in recent reporting. Seeing “M6 MacBook” and assuming that it also means OLED and a touchscreen could lead to the wrong conclusion. More on the separate product updates.

Apple M5 Pro and M5 Max chips shown side by side against a black background
The M5 Pro and M5 Max in the current MacBook Pro. Reports suggest the higher-end OLED model could use the same chips. Image: Apple Newsroom.

Memory was why I chose not to wait

Memory was the reason I wanted to upgrade. My M2 MacBook Air with 16GB could still handle blog writing, app development and video editing. But as a work session got longer and more Chrome tabs and applications piled up, the slowdowns became frustrating.

I was not trying to buy the highest-spec model from the start. Moving from 16GB to around 32GB seemed reasonable. However, the M5 Pro configurations I was considering jumped from 24GB to 48GB, so I was weighing that option against the price.

Then I found an almost-new used M5 Max with 36GB of memory that had been used for less than two months. It gave me the amount of memory I wanted and a higher-tier chip, within the budget I had set. It solved a problem I was already having, and the purchase terms made sense. That left me with little reason to wait for an unannounced product. I wrote more about the purchase and my early impressions in my first week with the M5 Max MacBook Pro.

I was also concerned about rising semiconductor prices. Rather than trying to predict what a future product would cost, I felt more comfortable making a decision based on a price and configuration I could actually check.

Hearing about a possible redesign did not make me want to delay the purchase. I generally do not buy the first generation of a product with a substantially new design straight away. I prefer to wait until people have used it long enough for its strengths and inconveniences to become clearer.

That does not mean I expect the new model to have problems. This is a machine I use for work. How reliably and comfortably it fits my routine matters more to me than the appeal of a new look.

Would a lighter body and touch support change my work?

A reduction in weight could be a useful change. For someone who needs a large screen and carries a 16-inch model around, it might be a good reason to reconsider their options. Recent reporting suggests the new model could be lighter without becoming substantially thinner. An exact weight has not been confirmed. The report on weight and thickness.

I am happy with the weight of my current 14-inch MacBook Pro. I travel and work away from the office often, which is why I did not consider a 16-inch model in the first place. Still, I do not find my 14-inch model uncomfortably heavy. A lighter laptop would be welcome, but that alone would not give me enough reason to replace it.

I feel much the same about the display. The current mini-LED screen is already satisfying for writing, reading code and editing video. I would like to compare it with OLED in person, but I do not have an obvious complaint about the screen I use now.

Apple explains that the iPad Pro’s tandem OLED display uses two OLED panels. We will still need to wait for an announcement to know which panel technology and features a new MacBook would use. Since I keep my screen on for long work sessions, I would also want to see assessments of its display quality and longer-term use. Apple’s explanation of tandem OLED.

Touch support is the change I am least sure I would use regularly. It could be welcome for people who are comfortable working directly on a screen, or whose tasks benefit from touch input. For me, the MacBook’s trackpad is already very comfortable to use.

Fingerprints and oily marks would also bother me. I would not particularly enjoy having more smudges on a screen I look at all day. Nano-texture is primarily an option for reducing glare, so I would not treat it as an answer to that concern. Apple’s description of nano-texture.

The keyboard and trackpad are central to the way I develop apps and write. Even if touch support arrives, I am not yet sure how much easier it would make my usual work. I will be interested to see the uses Apple demonstrates at an announcement.

A closed MacBook Pro connected to cables in a vertical desk stand
At my desk, I use the MacBook in a stand. What I need from my existing setup also shaped my buying decision.

With the same budget, I look at RAM and SSD before the display

The performance discussion needs a little separation too. The M6 benchmark figures mentioned in the video I used as a reference relate to Mac mini material, not hands-on measurements of an unannounced MacBook. Apple’s documentation lists a 12-core CPU and 12-core GPU for the M6 Mac mini, but a MacBook’s configuration and real-world performance need to be checked separately. Apple’s M6 Mac mini specifications, the earlier benchmark report matching the figures in the video.

Even if a new entry-level chip beats an older higher-tier chip in a particular task, that does not necessarily make it the better choice across the applications I use. With blog writing, app development, video editing and local AI in my routine, I care more about having room to run several tasks together than about one benchmark score.

Official MacBook Pro image showing LM Studio and Autodesk Maya
Apple’s example of work on the current MacBook Pro. The applications I use and the memory configuration both matter when choosing a machine. Image: Apple Newsroom.

If a higher-end OLED model arrives with the same M5 Pro or M5 Max chip at a higher price, I would first compare what the same budget buys me. That means weighing extra spending on a new display and design against choosing more RAM or SSD capacity when buying the machine.

More capacity is not automatically the right answer. The useful configuration depends on whether memory, storage, the display or portability is causing the problem. Even for people who work professionally with video, music or AI, I think it makes sense to start by identifying what is holding their own workflow back.

For me, the main frustration was running short of memory while doing several things at once. Addressing that was the priority with this purchase, and I am happy with the result so far. If new features do little to reduce the difficulties I actually have, I would find it harder to justify paying more for them.

Without the new model’s price and full specifications, it is too early to judge its value. Even with the same chip, changes to the battery, cooling, display or weight could affect everyday use. After an announcement, I would want to compare prices with matching memory and SSD configurations, as well as actual work performance, battery life and weight.

I am curious about the announcement, but I do not regret buying

I am looking forward to seeing what Apple announces. But based on what has been reported so far, I am not reconsidering my M5 Max purchase. I found a machine that suited my budget when I needed it, and it has made the work I was already doing more comfortable.

For now, I am more interested in continuing my app development and blog work on this MacBook, and refining my local AI setup. I have also been keeping a record of my first experience using local AI on a MacBook. Once the new model is announced, I can look at the actual differences and decide again after enough real-world reviews are available.

If you were choosing a MacBook with the same budget, would a new display and design appeal more to you, or would you rather put that money into RAM and SSD capacity?

Leave a Reply

Discover more from DreamQuestor

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading